বুধবার, ৮ মার্চ, ২০২৩

Natore: a new priest and two nuns in the same family


Fr. Uzzal Reberio

 by Sumon Corraya

Deacon Uzzal Reberio was ordained a priest. His two older sisters had joined the religious congregation in 2020 and 2012. Msgr. Gervas Rozario, bishop of Rajshahi and vice president of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Bangladesh: "I am very happy because I too am a son of the parish of Bonpara".

Natore (AsiaNews) - On November 18, the bishop of the diocese of Rajshahi, Gervas Rozario, in the parish of Bonpara in Natore, where there were 50 priests, 60 nuns and over 2,000 Catholic faithful, ordained deacon Uzzal Reberio a priest. A normal ordination, except that also the older sisters of Fr. Uzzal dedicated themselves to the consecrated life.

“As a child I became an altar boy and even then I had the desire to become a priest. Then I saw the holy life of some religious who inspired me".

The older sisters, Chondona and Hira, took their vows in 2012 and 2020 becoming part of the Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows. 

His father, Bejoy Reberio, who worked as a shopkeeper, was widowed in 1990 and remarried in 1991. From that union was born Fr. Uzzal, while the sisters are daughters of his first wife. But the Reberio family has always been very close, even after his father's death in 2016. "Our father always showed us his love and raised us in unity. He led a spiritual life and in the evening we recited the rosary together." said Fr. Uzzal.

"My heart is filled with joy for my brother's ordination," Sr. Chondona, 10 years older than Fr. Uzzal. "This shows that sacrifices are never in vain. When we lost our father we were worried, but the parishioners, our priest and our relatives actively participated in the ordination of our brother which ended in a positive way".

When asked what prompted them, in this modern era, to devote themselves to religious life, Sr. Chondona replied: "Our house is close to the church of Bonpara. We have always met many priests and nuns who came to visit us even at home. I was educated in a missionary boarding school and after seeing the testimony of the life of the sisters, I too wanted to give my testimony of Jesus Christ". 

Hira, the younger sister, aged 34, also entered the congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows. "She works in Rajshahi as an assistant teacher while I am in Dhaka in our school as director and superior", continued Sr. Chondona. "We need the prayers and support of all people so that we can maintain the spirit of our religious life". 

Msgr. Gervas Rozario, bishop of Rajshahi and vice president of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Bangladesh, said: "I am very happy with the arrival of Fr Uzzal as a priest because I too am a son of the parish of Bonpara". The bishop thanked the family of Fr. Uzzal who helped him receive training to become a priest.

The news was earlier published in AsiaNews

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন